11.25.2008

The Reason to Marry a Computer Scientist

With the exception of making 4 trips to JoAnn's and a lot of tedium, the rest of the cutting went fine. I got out my iron for the first time since ROTC (yeah, ask me about a mistake, and I will tell you about ROTC), and remembered why I hate ironing.

But the next part was cool.

I have 24 fabrics, 4 of which will appear in each square only once. My goal was to have no more than 6 fabrics in common between any two squares, which, though I haven't done the math problem, I thought was reasonable to accomplish.

The problem is that there are 56 squares to create. I realized that I was going to have to take over the floor space of my office, cover the pool table, and move up to the kitchen table (S--- would have been unhappy), and spend the next year comparing all of the squares with each other.

~Snort~

But I have a secret weapon... I married to a computer scientist. I told S--- my problem, and he says, "Oh! That's easy!".... and looked at me. I looked at him and said, "Sooooo, does that mean you will write me a program?" And he said, "Yes. I thought that was obvious." Which just goes to show you that communication with a computer scientist isn't always easy. But he made me a program and I whipped out 56 squares this weekend and tonight. Yay!

Forget love notes. That's real love, right there.

Of course, there is always the chance that I screwed my typing up or some such, and the quilt isn't the cool bastard child of my husband's computer program. But the thing is so complex, I doubt anyone will every find it.

And because I am a stinker, there is one intentional mistake built in. So future descendants, just try to find the square that doesn't belong. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Next up... piecing. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: